Monday 6 April 2009

What in the Dickens?

Chatham seems to be the Slough of Medway, a bit stuck in the 80's and could do with a bit of TLC, never the less a trip to see Dickens World and Chatham Historic Dockyard was on the cards. I've never been a huge fan of boats, but I have always been fascinated by how they stay floating, the same with Planes, I can figure out how they can stay in the air. I guess thats science, something i've never been particularly good at. But I really enjoyed Chatham Dockyards.

It was fascinating to go through a Royal Navy submarine, still under the 30 year rule so you don't actually know where its been or what its been involved in. 3 months isn't a long time, but I imagine it must feel like 3 years when you're stuck in a cramped metal tube underwater, not seeing sunlight, especially because they were volunteers. It was also the moment I realised I could probably join the Navy, flying through portholes all over the place, thats not meant to sound at all gay though! And I never knew Blue Peter bought RNLI Lifeboats, you learn something everyday!

We also visted Dickens World, which is basically a converted warehouse with a few victorian looking structures, a theatre, a boat ride and a 4-d cinema. That is actually it, you can easily do it in 2 hours. The boat ride just seems as though its been shoved in there to add something extra, and give them something to advertise and a reason to charge £13 entry for. The theatre show was boring, however I did enjoy the excellent projection and set on show, it should be commended for that. But apart from that, I wouldn't recommend it....unless you really are Charles Dickens mad.

A good day out, won't post photos, these are all on Facebook, i'd definitly recommend Chatham Docks, even if you're not a great boat lover its still a brilliant family day out. Dickens however, unless you're a huge Charles Dickens fan, give it a miss.

P.S. On another note, I think all Chavs on Scooters should be shot, and run over by the own hairdryer powered two wheeler.

No comments:

Post a Comment