Sunday 25 January 2009

Canal, Brothel, Drugs, Canal, Brothel, Drugs, Canal.....

After sleeping for 14 hours last night/this morning, I feel it is now time to give my verdict on Amsterdam, which will shortly be followed by a brief slideshow. I know how thrilling you are all finding the experience of reading this so i'll keep it brief. Firstly I was quite impressed by the ferry across to Rotterdam, it was fairly quiet, not overly priced and very comfortable. All the staff seemed very happy and it was a very pleasant journey. The Pride of Hull, I suppose someone has to be proud of Hull. However, I would have though that a reputable company such as P&O would have employed a Sound/Lighting technician for the on board entertainment. But no, instead it was left down to a performer. I'm sure you can envisage what came next. All the shows was plagued with technical issues, every time the singer came on during the caberet her microphone wasn't live. The band were mixing from one stage, ok there's nothing wrong with doing that but it's a bit cheap and doesn't sound as good as it could.

Secondly, Amsterdam, it's exactly what you see in the photos and in the movies, no different. But, it's surprisingly small, I managed to cover the majority of the city centre in the space of 2 hours, after which I couldn't find much else to do unless you wanted to shag some old black bird for 50 euros or smoke some jamaican stuff. I visited Anne Frank's house, which was the best part of the day, everything is still the original house, and it's very very moving. I think it's been done brilliantly and it was great to see something that i've heard so much about. To relieve the boredom I went on a canal cruise in the afternoon which was very interesting and showed you lots more of Amsterdam along with telling you lots of information about the city's history.

Despite getting a little bored towards the afternoon and that it also began to quite heavily rain. It was a very good day, and an even better boat ride. I don't think i'd go there again on a tourist visit, but I would definitly go to Amsterdam for a stag do or a lads weekend, which I suppose is what most of the tourists will do.

My Cabin

The bathroom - which had the nicest shower ever, very nice after a long day in Amsterdam

It highly amused me that P&O had gaffa taped the projector (which wasn't aligned right anyway & it was shit) to the FOH lighting bar.

The main entertainment lounge and bar, too floors with an irish bar upstairs.

Coming into Rotterdam

The main square in Amsterdam, big royal palace behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment