Thursday 3 September 2009

The Lakes, Walking Sticks, and the London Astoria

It's taken me ages to get round to doing this blog post, I haven't actually been particularly busy, I just haven't found the time to do it. I guess lazyness comes into it somewhere, but in my defence, I have just spent a week climbing mountains (evidence above to all those non believers!).

It was a good week, the weather did deteriorate, and it started to piss it down on about 3 of the days meaning I couldn't do everything that I wanted to do but achieved the most important thing on the first day, and that was Helvellyn and Striding Edge. If you're into this sort of thing and ever get the chance, you have to do Helvellyn via Striding Edge, it's a excellent thrill which does involve a certain amount of rock climbing and scrambelling towards the end of the ridge but once you get to the top you realise why you've just worked so hard to reach it, and thats evident in the photo below.

I speak alot about this climb because it was very memorable and something that I feel was a great achievement, but we did other walks during the week when it wasn't raining. I'm quite glad the rain is coming, summer gets tedious and hot by the end, there gets a stage for me when wind and rain is a welcome occurance. Many people will disagree with this, but I prefer Autumn and Winter to Summer. So about what the weather is doing now, but saying that it's gonna warm up from tomorrow.

What do you do on a rainy day? Lose at pillow fighting to a little kid, mind you, there's really not much you can do while there's a 2 year old sitting on your head!! Speaking of being a kid, ever since I started walking in the Lakes I always collected walking stick mounts. I collected a stick from the woods, carved it out and made it shine, and every time I visited a place or climbed a mountain I'd gain a little badge to go on this walking stick. To this day I've still got it, and I took it to the Lakes with me. But to be disappointment it became evident that these walking stick badges are no longer sold. You can get them on ebay, but none of any of the Lake District Mountains, if anyone has any idea where I can get these from then please let me know!!! I'd be very interested to find out whats happened to these.

On a final note, I only just learnt yesterday that the London Astoria is about to be demolished. The former pickle factory was an intermitate 2000 capacity music venue, and one my favourite venues around. It's hosted everyone from the Rolling Stones to Oasis to The Beach Boys. An absolute shame to see it go, i'm gutted. RIP the London Astoria...

No comments:

Post a Comment