Monday 10 August 2009

I won't go near Liverpool after this post.

Firstly, before I start this, in no way do I mean any offence in this post and I do send my best wishes to the family of the boys involved, despite what I am about to say, it is a dreadful tragedy from which three familys in the North West are suffering at this time. Take a read of this story before reading further.

I think the photo in this story says it all. What idiot climbs on top of a freight train in a secured depot where there is live electricity wires above your head, all depots have indications of this, and common sense usually provails? Not only did he climb on top of this train, he then grabbed hold of the overhead electric cables. Seriously, what are parents and schools teaching kids these days. When I was 13/14, my brain would have told me that doing this was dangerous and I would get in big trouble for doing it. Yes there is a certain level of thrill about doing it, but I would have thought at that age that doing this would seriously injure me and it wasn't a wise idea.

Liam's teacher Emma-Jane Percy, head of Year 9 at St Benedict's Catholic College, said: "Liam was a wonderful, bright young man. Clearly not that bright if he was standing on top of a freight train having broken into its depot.

It's amusing that now the parents and local residents of Allerton are blaming the depot for not putting enough safety measures in place to keep kids out. I guess they probably think that they should install 30ft high electric fences and a no fly zone around the depot too. Mind you, someone would probably ignore all signs and risks and try to climb the electric fences. At the end of the day, these kids had broken into this depot, they were tresspassing at their own risk, they then climbed on top of a parked up freight train and grabbed the electric wires above the train. I mean what on earth do you think is going to happen? The schools and parents need to take blame for this, why were their kids allowed to get into this depot, why were they not taught of the dangers of doing so? 25,000 volts would cause a little tingle don't you think?!

No comments:

Post a Comment